Sunday 21 June 2009

Conversations on Design with Mum





My mother and I often have conversations about design, usually on a Sunday sitting in her lounge room surrounded by her collections of magazines and books. Although we do share a very similar aesthetic my mother's style is a little more tailored and matching than my own.

Today we were talking about architecturally beautiful houses requiring very simple and understated decoration. It actually reminded me of this beautiful house in Maine which I've had in my files for sometime thanks to Heather. The owner of this incredibly elegant home, Gwen McCaw is quoted as saying "Because it's such an architecturally beautiful house, I felt I could decorate in a really clean way."

I suppose after talking to mum about this today and then reading this article again it makes me question my love of bright patterned fabrics and mixing furniture styles. But then again my mother always makes me question things...isn't that what mothers do? I think it's great to be able to appreciate design in all shapes and forms and certainly our conversations always keep me inspired.




13 comments:

Karena said...

Anna, how wonderful to be able to have these discussions with your mum. Your styles may be very different sometimes, however, intelligent people can agree to disagree. That works in my large family quite often.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I've just found your wonderful blog. What a nice conversation to have with one's mom...I look forward to reading more. Thanks! Janell

Mrs. Blandings said...

I think one of the fun parts of loving design is seeing the appeal in things that are not particularly your own style. You have such an amazing and distinct aesthetic I'm sure you'd handle neutrals deftly. But I love what you do with color.

Anonymous said...

*ha ha* I like your post!! True thats what mothers do!! Isnt it just nice to chat with someone about anything!!

Love the images as well!!

Tiina of livingConcept said...

those walls are amazing! only those make a lot of decorating and not much else is necessary (well, i would add a little bit colorful cushions and beautiful flowers)

ChikitaRosemarie said...

my mom and i loves home decor very much. and she often ask for my opinion when she wants to re-decorate the house..
we discuss the matter based on the article on the magazines or from tv shows that display some of the best home decor (i love discovery travel&living channel!).
this post really reminds me of my mom and i, love it :)

-cr
sociologicallystylish.blogspot.com

Twilight Spells said...

I think mix-matching furniture and bright patterns are great! Very fun, happy, unique and inspiring. The house in Maine is beautiful too, some good ideas for inspiration. I guess there is a whole lot of different styles for different people out there. Your style is great, Anna!

Alicia said...

Your style is the continuation of your mom's, impeccable, just down another pathway!!!!

Julie B. [Holland] said...

Anna, I agree with you on that. I can totally enjoy or appreciate a concept or design, but to live it daily is another story. I guess thats the fun of the blogs too , everyone has a diffent "style" or heartfelt place of their loves and needs of their own space. Thanks for sharing yours... with us.. Julie in HOlland

Camilla said...

I have similar chats with my mumma - but the fact that she has pink carpet - i feel superior!!!!!

ME said...

Am so happy to see this gorgeous home, just across the bay, featured on your lovely blog.

In Maine, as in other visually intense areas, it's very difficult to go against what's framed inside the windows. It's usually best to feature it inside.

Adding another dimension only causes confusion.

Shelley Trbuhovich said...

i love that you have these conversations with your mum, what a fabulous way to spend a sunday. my mum and i have quite different interior tastes, she plays it far safer than i do, and i find myself holding back on suggestions. but i now feel inspired to ask her a few q's and maybe we can shake up her decor styling a little without hurting her feelings! x

Lisa Porter said...

You have inspired me to have a different kind of mother-daughter design discussion down the road.
Thanks Anna. Always great to visit with you.
Lisa